Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:47:00 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        Michael Bartlett <mike@cataract.eye2eye.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp.conf question

Michael Bartlett <mike@cataract.eye2eye.net> wrote:

>hi all
>i'm REALLY confused with the set dial string
>i need to send an atx0 to my modem so that it doesn't expect a dialtone
>(behind a PABX)
>
>i've been fiddling and playing with the set dial from the =
ppp.conf.sample
>and CANNOT for the life of me figure it out!
>
> set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATX0 OK =
\dATDT\\T
>TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

Hi.
I guess you derived the set dial string from:

  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0M0 =
OK-AT-OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
   =20
As you know, the 'ATE1Q0M0' section is for modem initialisation.  =
Breaking
it down 'AT' is the attention code prefix; 'E1' enables command echo, but
many modems default to this so you can probably omit it; 'Q0' lets the
modem send results to the computer, so you may well need it; 'M0' tells =
the
modem to dial quietly.

You could just slap your X0 on the end like ATE1Q0M0X0

There was a thread in this mailing list recently, with some good answers
for someone with a similar problem, in that they had a non standard dial-
tone to deal with.

HTH.
John.