Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 05:38:01 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter not free software?

At 04:20 AM 5/24/2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>  IPFilter is the firewalling system used in FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
>  NetBSD; it provides many of the same features as the Linux "netfilter"
>  package. The IPFilter code is copyrighted by Darren Reed, and has long
>  carried the following license text:
>
>    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>    provided that this notice is preserved and due credit is given to the
>    original author and the contributors.

This means that the license is not compatible with the GPL (a good
thing, IMHO). (The GPL allows the author to be denied credit and
in fact prohibits any license provision that would allow the author
to insist upon getting credit for his hard work. Historically, this
trait of the GPL is due to Stallman's contempt for BSD.)

>  A recent update, however, has added the following:
>
>    Yes, this means that derivitive or modified works are not permitted
>    without the author's prior consent.
>
>  That means, of course, that IPFilter is not free (or even open source)
>  software.

But didn't he just give that consent immediately above? I don't see a
problem.

--Brett