Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 00:32:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

On 28-Jan-00 Mike Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 04:20:54PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > Actually, the problem here is that our dhclient doesn't pick the hostname
>> > up the first time around.  If it's set in an existing lease that is just
>> > confirmed, it works, but if you're starting without a lease, you won't
>> > get a hostname set (but it will be in the lease file, so if you restart
>> > before the lease expires you're OK).
>>
>> Are you sure?  In the case I know you experience, the server changed its
>> behavior WRT handing out hostnames.  I don't doubt that such a switch
>> mid-stream in using DHCP would confuse things.
>
> Quite sure.  I have several machines installed with the 26th snapshot
> that aren't setting the hostname correctly.  You were present when the
> hostname issuing from the server problem was fixed, and the clients were
> still not picking them up then.
>
>> > Personally I'd prefer to just fix the DHCP client so that it correctly
>> > sets the hostname as obtained from the server...
>>
>> Nope.  Poll larger shops first on their DHCP usage.
>
> Correct behaviour would be not to set the hostname unless:
>
>  a) it is not already set
> or
>  b) it was previously set by the DHCP client
>
> You could probably ignore b) and satisfy most people.  At the moment, the
> hostname is _never_ set by the DHCP client _unless_ it finds a lease that
> is still valid.  This is clearly a bug.

Uh, no.  It is set ok on the initial bootup.  The lab of 30 or so FreeBSD
machines I run at school use DHCP to get their hostnames and the current
dhclient-script works perfectly:

[0:28:21] (ttyp2) jobaldwi@raspberry:~
> grep hostname
/etc/rc.conf
hostname=""

[0:28:27] (ttyp2) jobaldwi@raspberry:~
> grep host-name /var/db/dhclient.leases
  option host-name "raspberry.cslab.vt.edu";