Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:56:09 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are Interface errors in netstat?

--KN5l+BnMqAQyZLvT

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 12:49:57PM -0700, Steve Francis wrote:
> Can anyone explain what are interface errors in netstat -I?
>=20
> I assume they are CRC, undersize frames, etc.
> Anyway to get details on which errors are occurring?
>=20
The interface input/output errors are incremented by the
if_output routines.  These are documented in the ifnet(9)
manpage, as ifi_ierrors and ifi_oerrors, respectively.

> Also, I'm now not sure that is what the error counter means - a box=20
> doing about 20k pps normally runs with no reported interface errors -=20
> however, when the application crashed, it got a spike of input interface=
=20
> errors.
>=20
The nature of these errors is very interface specific,
except for some common types like memory allocation
failure, input/output queue full, etc.

> The application crashing should not have affected MAC layer packets, so=
=20
> do interface errors also include some TCP  layer errors?
>=20
No.  TCP layer errors are available thru "netstat -s -p tcp".

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,