Date:      23 Nov 2000 06:43:33 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@cybercable.fr>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

opentrax@email.com writes:

> Has it occured to you that perhaps there are people that really, really
> want DD?

can someone remember me the problem w/ DD ? I guess that DD a drive is not
a problem if done w/in the state of the art (or something like that).

- what about to fdisk the destination drive w/ the same following values,
Supply a decimal value for "sysid (165=FreeBSD)" [165] 165
Supply a decimal value for "start" [63] 0
Supply a decimal value for "size" [6506262] <same size as the source partition>
  to make sure that the partition table is "clean" since fdisk
  recalculates the good parameters for begin/end CHS.
- backup this label using dd.
- dd your drive
- restore the backuped label
- disklabel -B to reinstall boot1 which don't override the partition table.

well, I don't have tested anything since I don't have any free drive to burn,
but the spirit is here, no ?

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr