Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 10:50:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system config database...

> It seems that there still a need for a per service
> set of scripted instruction for startup.

I'm not arguing that at all, I'm simply saying that the current system
needlessly separates the configuration data from the actions
associated with it.  It's like having a shopping list where on one
side you have "items to get: 1, 3, 2, 6, 9 and 5" and on the other you
have "1 = milk, 2 = celery, 3 = ..." :-)

The information needs to be combined and sh unfortunately isn't really
"expressive" enough for that - a metaformat which gets compiled into
sh or is even run by some sort of helper program, e.g. /etc/rc becomes
a one liner:

   /sbin/systemrc /etc/rc.sys

> An /etc/rc.d with mini-scripts for features. Some

Ick, no, wrong direction again! ;-)

- Jordan