Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 09:17:56 +0400 (MSD)
To:        tetragon@cyber.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Gavan McCormack wrote:

> Sorry if this is not apropos for STABLE.
>
> I am running 3.1-STABLE, and wish to NFS export the _directory_ /usr/home.
>
> Currently, my /var and /usr are directories under /, I dont have a seperate
> /usr partition. I want to export /usr/home, but do NOT want to have to
> export /.
>
> According to my 4.4BSD SMM "...the kernel information is stored on a per
> local file system mount point and client host address basis and cannot
> refer to individiual directories within the local server filesystem."

I was also hit by this idiosyncrasy when switching from Linux to FreeBSD
(see my previous messages several days ago). Judging from comments by
several people, FreeBSD NFS server can't export directories and is not
supposed to; I had to find it hard way, trying to find out what is wrong
with my /etc/exports. Finally today I have tried to take another approach,
namely use Linux NFSD. I had to make some dirty hacks at the source (but
not much), but to my surprise, it worked. I am able to export directories
which are not mountpoints and re-export NFS-mounted directories. The write
performance difference is also tremendous; with FreeBSD kernel
implementation I was only getting ridiculous 580K/s over 100MBit full
duplex cable; with Linux NFSD (user-level!) I get about 2M/sec (I am using
NFSv2 clients; DOS PC/NFS and OS/2 NFS).

Unfortunately, it does not work right all of the time. On some
directories, it seems to report bogus data to clients, so that they hang,
or crash, or display nonse. I can't make it work correctly. All in all, it
seems Linux is way better at NFS and probably more suited for my needs.
Too bad I have already converted 20GB to ffs :-(

If you are interested in trying it:

1) disable NFS server by commenting 'nfs_server_enable="YES"' in
/etc/rc.conf

2) rebuild your kernel with "options         NFS_NOSERVER".

3) ask me for the hacked source (somebody could make a proper patch out of
it? I am complete new to this) or try to build it yourself; the package I
used is called nfs-server-2.2beta41.tar.gz

4) rewrite your exports file (see manpage from the sources); syntax is
different from BSD

5) reboot with new kernel and start new versions of rpc.mountd and
rpc.nfsd. FreeBSD pcnfsd port seems to work with this server.