Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:58:51 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Jim Thomson" <thomson9@flash.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Hardware requirements

Most of us here don't know a ton about Linux.  I am sure there are some
Linux specific mailing lists out there.  (Although I don't know or care what
they are. :)  If you were going to run  FreeBSD I would tell you that it
would run just fine as a router on a 486sx.  A 200 meg hard drive should be
sufficient to get 3.4 or 4.0 working as a router, although you won't have
room for much else.  A full install of everything will eat up about 600 megs
of disk space.  I usually don't try a full install unless I have about 1 gig
available...The Ports collection is too tempting for me.

> If I can't use this 486 machine, I'll probably build me a new workstation,
> use the Pro for the firewall, and convert my current workstation to the
> server. I'd like to save the $1200, if possible, while learning and then
> apply it to upgrading the entire system when I get it all working.
>
> Is there a decent site for using a 486 in this manner?
Once again, if you are going to use FreeBSD, I would recommend
www.freebsd.org as a starting point.  You can access the handbook and FAQ
from there along with other documentation.

I have a friend who
> says he can set it up for me, but I'd like to get into Linux and
> my approach
> has always been to learn by doing.

If you have no familiarity with Unix you are in for a rocky road. (Keep your
friends phone number close at hand) I have been down it and you really need
to be ready to do some homework.  I don't mean to discourage you, its just
that Unix is a large complicated OS that is completely different from what
you are using now.  (Let's just say that you won't be doing any pointing and
clicking when you get stuck.)

Josh