Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 23:37:33 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What I'd *really like* for 2.0.5

> > All the probe messages irritate the hell out of me.  The style is
> > inconsistent in many places and I still maintain that I do *NOT* want
> > to know about all the things it didn't find, I want to know about only
> > the things it did since....

> With the advent of userconfig, I'm for removing them.  Now you can use
> userconfig to see what drivers you have in your kernel.
>
> Lets kill them now.

I disagree.  On bootup you don't have access to userconfig, and it's a
very useful debugging tool to find out what's a kernel's been compiled
with to see if you're it's a driver bug or a hardware misconfiguration.

> > Anyone of a mind to go on a little boot message reform rampage?
> yes please.

Please don't until we get other folks who have an opinion on this to
speak their mind.

Nate