Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 14:56:25 +1200
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suid/sgid programs

>It would probably be better to pull all of UUCP into a separate install
>package, so users who don't use it could simply not install it.  This
>way, the install package could install all of the UUCP binaries with the
>correct permissions, and users who don't need UUCP lower their suid/sgid
>impact.

I'm one of said users who don't use UUCP, and so far haven't concerned
myself with it much.  I presume there's no problem for me in removing the
uucp group and user?  what else is solely related to uucp that I can throw
out?

Is it a problem that the uucp user has by default a publicly writable home
directory?  or is this made irrelevant by it's shell being set to uucico?

Andrew McNaughton

DISCLAIMER: The Entire Physical Universe, Including      Andrew McNaughton
This Message, May One Day Collapse Back into an            ++64 4 389 6891
Infinitesimally Small Space. Should Another Universe    andrew@squiz.co.nz
Subsequently Re-emerge, the Validity of Statements  http://www.squiz.co.nz
in This Message Cannot Be Guaranteed.            http://www.newsroom.co.nz