Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:41:52 -0600
From:      Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@uswest.net>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hibernation in Toshiba Portege 3110

>On 1999 Sep 07, Leonard Sitongia (aka sitongia@uswest.net) wrote:
>> I've installed stable-3.2 and PAO for it, and return from suspend
>> says "return from suspend failed" and hibernation doesn't get
>> triggered (by closing the laptop or hiting the power switch).
>
>Does this machine (which I'd love to know more about :) have hot
>keys for suspend / standby / hibernate /etc?  Do these work?  What
>about zzz and apm -S ?

Hot keys to select action to take for lid closing, I think, but
they don't pop up under BSD (they do under Windows).  The hotkey
for power-saving mode clearly works, because the brightness of
the screen changes, but the menu doesn't pop up.

apm -Z (standby) briefly blanks the screen, and returns to operation.

apm -z (zzz) suspends, but return from suspend gives an error.

Closing the lid (which hibernates in Windows), does nothing.

>Do you have this thing on-line?  It could be the ethernet card
>is mucking things up ... you may need to turn off the wake on-lan
>options (just a thought).

Behaves the same without networking: doesn't work.

>> Does anyone have this working?
>
>Where did you buy this thing (just curious), no one has them in
>stock ... look pretty nice.  However, I just got a Sony 505TR
>(only wish is for built-in ethernet) due to cost, availability
>and XGA.  What about sound and modem ... guessing they are the
>bogus kind.  Keyboard nice?

Ya, that Sony is nice.  I've had a Libretto, so I wanted to stick with
Toshiba.  I got it from CDW, but it was a long wait.  I haven't
tried working with sound or the modem under BSD.  Does the Sony
have a real modem (non-winmodem) in it?

>> If not, how do I get started on this?  Is there documentation on
>> how hibernation works?  The kernel services an interrupt from the
>> lid closing, etc.?  Is the hibernation code part of PAO, or is
>> it simply implicit in the x86 architecture and BIOS?
>
>Does it work under Windozer?  You may need to set it up under
>windoze and then see if it'll work.  I have seen problems with
>hibernation that sometimes get fixed by switching to doze and
>hibernating and recovering...not sure if this helps in your
>case.

Works in Windows.  Yes, I've done that configuration stuff before
on my Libretto, and it worked there.

Thanks for your help.

I hope you don't mind my cc'ing the list, since I'm providing more
information.

==Leonard Sitongia
  sitongia@uswest.net
  http://www.users.uswest.net/~sitongia/