Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:02:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t on sparc64, epilogue(?)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Recently on the freebsd-sparc64 list, it was mentioned that it
> would be nice to upgrade time_t on that port to be 64-bit.  It
> is pretty obvious (to me at least) that we could bite the bullet
> and do it (disruptively) right now.  If we don't, then (IMO) we
> pretty much have to wait until the 6.x-branch.

Considering the scope and potential disruptiveness of such a change, I
think waiting till 6.x is a better avenue, when we can pull the switch on
all the platforms.  This isn't the sort of thing to pull after a .0
release, even if it means more user impact down the road. We already
reserve new major branch releases for serious breakage and no
compatibility guarantees; lets try to save game-breakers like this for
those times.

</metoo>

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org