Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 03:45:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Arjan van der Oest <arjan@nl.demon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Perl

On 29-Dec-99 Arjan van der Oest wrote:
> You just don't understand, do you : we run a BUSINESS, we make MONEY with
> these people. We've got to make them happy and if I can solve their
> problems, I will.

I'm sorry I was so cynical but apparently you are right that it is a kernel
thing.. I just didn't see how that was possible since it was (formerly) my
belief that the shell parses options, not the kernel. So I figured you didn't
know what you were doing anyway and decided to be cynical..

> It's not, we've made changes to the kernel (see Jim Segrave's e-mail) and
> this solved the problem.

Of course, I still think the real problem is customer ignorance, but for the
sake of the argument, in your case, my kind of thinking is not acceptable. "Win
at all costs" is the way of business.. that much I understand. I am sure that
if somebody hired me to be a system administrator, I would take on your views
(since I would then be paid for figuring out how to get around such problems).

I am glad you have your problem solved. Perhaps (thanks to you) the fix proposed
by Jim will be made on the primary source tree, and you won't have to reapply
the patch by hand to keep your systems up to date. Although you probably don't
update your systems that often since it's probably not necessary.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>