Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:36:08 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>, NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>,

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> types:
> At 11:32 PM 10/9/2001, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
> >You and I wish. IBM simply withdrew the proposal to include it in the
> >latest revision of the ATA standard. Look for it to make a speedy comeback
> >if SSSCA is passed.
> Ah, but again, SSSCA won't pass. Legislating the design of software opens
> the door for Congress to put constraints on the design of Windows.... Do
> you think for one minute that Microsoft, with its lobbying megabucks,
> would risk that just to satisfy a record company or two?

While MicroSoft may have lobbying megabucks, so do the people pushing
the bill - and they've been playing the game longer. The available
evidence is that MS doesn't *care* what this will do to them. They
already license lots of software, and ship systems that include
software with software that has licensing requirements that encroach
on the design of software.

The software vendors who'll really be hurt are the *small* ones, to
whom the licensing fees won't be trivial. It will probably be most
painfull for free software that it covers. In which case, MS is
probably all for it.

> >What exactly will "Hollings' foolish bill" do that will scare the "big
> >corporations?"
> See above. Also, large corporations that USE software know how much pain
> copy protection would cost them.

But the SSSCA doesn't *require* copy protection. It just requires
support for it. For content, anyone large corporation that uses it
tries to avoid stepping on the toes of other large corporations, so it
wont make much difference there. For software - MS is already working
as hard as they can to copy protect their software. A law that
requires hardware manufacturers to provide the hooks they need? They
should eat it up.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.