Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:26:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
Cc:        Andy Kim <andy@internetesl.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ICMP floods

One of our Certified NT techs installed a personal firewall at home that
was reporting an ICMP "DOS flood" from one of our DNS servers. So he sent
an e-mail to my boss saying he was sure the server was hacked including 10
Megabytes of bitmaps to "prove" it.

I checked the logs and saw 9 packets per second from his box from port 137
to port 137 on the FreeBSD DNS server.

Of course the FreeBSD server was sending back ICMP port unreach, just as
it should, for each of these Netbios queries.

It seems to me these personal firewalls are (by default) set too sensitive
and lump together dangerous and innocuous packet types, resulting in the
customer being very surprised to see all those "people hacking my
computer".

The vendor looks "good" because their product reports "attacks", the
customer feels comfortable that "he is now protected", and legitimate
infrastructure operators repeatedly explain to very skeptical consumers
that one ICMP echo return (per day) is not an attack on their computer.

-bryan bradsby