Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:20:52 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <netchild@freebsd.org>
To:        Johannes Jost Meixner <johannes@meixner.or.at>
Cc:        AllanJude@freebsd.org, rene@freebsd.org, dchagin@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFH] Allan's 64bits CentOS ports

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_3aWGfFcnjRh72nuTOkd0XPh

Quoting Johannes Jost Meixner <johannes@meixner.or.at> (from Wed, 01=20=20
Jul=202015 07:53:25 +0300):

> Allan could use some help reviewing his suite of CentOS 6.6 64bit ports.
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D1746

I had a quick look at comments on the top of the page and the diffs of=20=
=20
bsd.linux-apps.mk=20and bsd.port.mk.

What I'm missing here (I may have overlooked it, it's the first time I=20=
=20
have=20a look at reviews.freebsd.org) is a short explanation for the=20=20
rationale=20of the design decissions (see my questions below).

The very first questions which come to my mind are:
  - Why is this embeded into the existing ports instead of having it=20=20
as=20seperate ports?
  - Would seperate 64bit ports make the infrastructure less=20=20
convoluted/complicated=20(KISS)? Yes, more ports, but the Mk=20=20
infrsatructure=20is already at a complexity level where not much people=20=
=20
are=20willing to touch it, and with this I fear it will be just too much.
  - Can I install 64bit and 32bit in parallel with this approach (I=20=20
have=20to admit, it depends if the 64bit linuxulator is going to a=20=20
different=20or the same /compat/linux directory but I haven't checked=20=20
that,=20and it depends on how centos is build in this regard, so no idea=20=
=20
if=20this makes sense)?
  - Is it a good idea to play around with the portname here (ok, this=20=20
fits=20into the first question)? My concern here is that some ports=20=20
played=20around with the port name in the past and got slowly converted=20=
=20
to=20something without the name-mangling because we learned that it was=20=
=20
not=20a good idea.

Apart from that I have to admin that I don't like that=20=20
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=20is used to check for 32bit or 64bit installs=20=
=20
of=20the linux base. IMO it makes more sense to have a sort of "I want=20=
=20
to=20have a XXbit linuxulator" variable: would be more end-user friendly=20=
=20
and=20better self-explaining code (related to KISS).

> What I'd like to see is, moving the Mk/ infrastructure to the point
> where it can support future, upcoming architectures -- think CentOS 7,
> recent Fedora version (only the ones that are supported for more than
> 6 months), etc.
>
> I saw a working port of CentOS7 on GitHub, and a working Port of
> Fedora 19 somewhere... but I don't recall the links. Check

Can someone dig out the link for the CentOS7 port? 24th to 26th there=20=20
is=20the DevSummit in Essen/Germany and I thought about the possibility=20=
=20
to=20have a look at CentOS7 ports (if I don't find something less=20=20
painful=20to work on) and it doesn't make sense to re-invent the wheel.

Bye,
Alexander.
--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net=20Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0xC773696B3BAC17DC