Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:25:17 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940 ...

> > BTW: who has the best mail-order price for these things?
>
>      The NCR(now Symbios)-based controllers aren't easy to find.  If you
> have an ASUS, the ASUS SC-200 appears to be good.  If you don't have an
> on-board NCR BIOS, the Data Technology DTC 3130B ("B" for "BIOS") is
> good (it's a narrow, fast SCSI-2 controller).  NECX sells it for around
> US$105.  Very nice.

I'm using a Tyan "Yorktown" controller, based on a 53C825 (fast/wide)
chip, which also includes a BIOS ROM on the card.  I think I paid
about $119 for it, from the same vendor selling Tyan motherboards.

I've been very happy with it's operation.  I've got a Micropolis 4221
2GB disk, a Toshiba XM-3601TA CDROM, and an Archive Python 25501 DAT
drive on an 8 bit (non-wide) SCSI bus.  Works great, and way more than
a few $$$ cheaper than the Adaptec alternative.

louie