Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:48:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      cgull+usenet-889752903@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), freebsd@atipa.com, cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When will busmastering be committed?

[redirected to -current from -stable]

Søren Schmidt writes:

 > > > More precisely, IDE DMA busmastering for certain chipsets (PIIX-based, et
 > > > al). I believe the code was by a Mr Hood. (John Hood?)
 > >
 > > Ah.  I don't think John is a regular -stable reader, nor are Soren nor
 > > John Dyson, the comitters most serious about the code.
 > >
 > > Last I recall, there were some concerns about a number of issues still
 > > outstanding.  I've copied John and Soren on this; let's see what they
 > > have to say on the matter.
 >
 > Hmm, there are no immediate plans to get the DMA stuff backported to
 > 2.2.X, there are differences between -current and stable that makes
 > this a nontrivial task. Besides I've just found out that we have some
 > nasty problems in there that we DONT want to get into -stable.

Whee!  *More* nasty problems?  What are they?

I've got some stuff that *was* all ready to commit-- it fixes one
major and a few minor problems with the DMA code.  (The major problem
involved probing for and storing the alternate status port address for
PCI controllers).  I've been lame about sending it along and getting
it committed.

The whole wd disk driver really needs a rewrite; there's all kinds of
problems in there.  I've made unenthusiastic noises about doing this
in the past, and I certainly haven't written any code...

Soren/John, email me in private so we can smash our code together
again, eh?

  --jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @