Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:51:51 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to select media for PCMIA combo network card?

> Gotcha.  So much notebook stuff is W96-dependant that I tend to
> leave at least a minimal W95 partition on the disk.  Call me a
> traitor.

Ugh.  Understand, this thing came pre-installed and there's no CDROM
drive (not to mention no W95 CDROM).  There is a procedure for
writing a 29-disk set of floppies, though. :-(

Will fips work for W95?

> > drivers.  I guess I have to do the Windows 95 setup for it first.
> > I was trying to avoid that because it's a 12-step process that
> > took them two pages to describe.
>
> Shit.  What a mess.

Yes, well of course I tried it and on step 11 it utterly failed to
do anything remotely resembling what the instructions said would
happen at that point, leaving the drivers half-installed.

Get this, though:  I was at least able to run the card's diagnostics at
that point, and afterwards I booted up the PAO floppy again and did
the ifconfig.  Now the thing _does_ respond to pings.

So there _is_ a way to get it to talk to the BNC connector.  I just
have to figure out how I did it ...

I am thinking that the easiest solution might be to buy a hub that has
a BNC connector on it to tie into my existing network, and then just
use the 10baseT interface on the card.  There's no way I'm going to
put up with booting W95 just to set the media every time.  The LinkSys
card plus a cheap hub is still probably less expensive than a 3c589.

John