Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:45:40 -0800
From:      Y <ure.fake@home.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: AMD Duron

Hello Doug,

Tuesday, January 23, 2001, 12:29:28, you wrote:

DY> Various problems, generally of the "tearing hair out" variety .....
DY> spontaneous reboots are common with WinNT, as are really stupid installation
DY> "features" with Win2000 (gets started normally then "loses" the (IDE) CD
DY> drive. ...........................

sounds like a VIA chipset DMA issue to me, has nothing to do with the
AMD chips. SP from www.via.com.tw should be applied, plus VIA DMATOOL,
plus HD_TACH would not hurt regardless of chip religion...sounds like
a system integrator issue to me...besides, this is not an
Offtopic'2000 group :-) I hope that you will sort it out eventually, -
there is a number of articles on MSFT website.

we even run W2K/NT4 on 4 SOYO 5EMA+ with "illegal" AMD K6-3 333 27/4

I know a website with rather high arrival rate hosted on MSI KT7Pro-2A
boards with a Thunderbirds... SCSI, of course.

Certainly, if you have fewer troubles w Intel, by all means use it, it's
a fine chip, excellent ingeneering, simply a dead end from
architectural point of view nowadays IMHO. And I would not care too
much for the Co that goes as far as selling "Spy Inside".

As for overclocking, those ingeneers aint stupid ;-)
--
Best regards,
 Y                            mailto:ure.fake@home.com