Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2016 15:47:05 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   bhyve: zvols for guest disk - yes or no?

Hi, all,

we are just starting a project that will run a couple
of Ubuntu guests on top of bhyve instead of ESXi
that we used in the past.

As far as I could find out, more or less all bhyve
manager/wrapper tools use zvols as the backing
store for "raw" guest disk images.

I looked at

	* chyves
	* iohyve
	* vm-bhyve

So far so good. Yet, this blog article has some very
valid (IMHO) points against using them:

http://jrs-s.net/2016/06/16/psa-snapshots-are-better-than-zvols

Another thing I'm pondering is: wouldn't it be better to
run on UFS so you can dedicate as much memory
as possible to VMs?

So I'm a bit puzzled now on what to do. Any opinions,
experiences, war stories to share?

Thanks
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285