Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 14:23:48 -0600
From:      "Darrin R. Woods" <dwoods@netgazer.com>
To:        David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spammer problem - help!

[my problem deleted]

>Easiest block is on the domain 't-1net.com' - they are 100% spam and sell
>spam software and lists. The general place this check is made is in Claus
>Assman's 'check_mail' rule. However, since they are widely known (and
>blocked - and their domain name is currently 'on hold' from the InterNIC,
>they simply hijack mail servers around the web - as they did here with the
>Stafford Texas UU.net account. Complain to abuse@UU.net (might work, but
>don't hold your
>breath). Blocking the envelope's claimed domain, not the relay's IP or
>resolved name, might work until they change it (since it is forged
>anyway). The claimed envelope address is what is sent to the check_mail
>rule. How are you using your 'spammer db'?

I have applied the spammer patches found at sendmail.org, they include
disallowing relaying and blocking of hosts.  The spammers db file has the
following entry:

mail.t-1net.com	550 Access Denied

realizing that the "550..." is pretty much ignored and not really sent.  I
build the db file with the following command:

makemap hash /etc/spammers.db < /etc/spammers

but they still seem to be getting through.

Alex Nash suggested using ipfw, and I already use the equivilent on my
router; a cisco; by adding an "access-list" command for the various ip
addresses that I'm tired of recieving email from.  My access-list statement
is only set "eq smtp" which seems to work well.

But, I don't understand (1) why mail.t-1net.com is still getting my server
to take its mail and (2) why/how t-1net is forging the email to come from
my mailer-daemon to my users.  They are not using me as a relay as that
part of sendmails patch seems to be working just fine.

>If you've applied the normal anti-relaying rules they can only send to
>*your* domain (and that's confirmed by my tests - see
>http://maps.vix.com/ar-test.html for a quick check on relay hijacking
>vulnerability) so they're just spamming you, so at least they aren't
>spamming the whole planet *through* you. If you've picked up the specific
>IP blocking rules (highly recommended), then you could also just block the
>specific dialup, though unless it's dedicated I'd expect to see a
>different IP each time.

I have considered setting up Pauls "black hole" sendmail stuff, but just
haven't taken the time.  :-(

Any other suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Darrin R. Woods                              dwoods@netgazer.com
Director Operations Emeritus
Netgazer Solutions, Inc.

          "UNiX IS user friendly.  It's just particular
                  about who it's friends are"