Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 12:13:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Albert Visagie <avisagie@dsp.sun.ac.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-release Rebooting more often than W*?

Albert Visagie wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0 Release,  and the box has been rebooting
> at least once every two hours or so.  It isn't doing anything, or
> running any strange daemons that wasn't there after the install, and it
> does this regardless of whether or any users (me) are logged in or
> anything.  I couldn't work out how to get hold of the panic message
> thingie, but it looks a lot like some on the mailing list archives, eg.:
>
>      fatal trap 12  page fault while in kernel mode
>      fault virtual address 0x0
>      fault code    =supervisor read, page not present
>      instruction pointer 0x8:0xf01a5b26
>      stack pointer       0x10:0xefbffe34
>      frame pointer       0x10:0xefbffe80
>      code segment        base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                          DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
>      processor flags     interrupt enabled, resume IOPL=0
>      current process     321 (pkg_add)
>      interrupt mask      ufs
>      panic page fault
>
> I've done some browsing through the mailing list archives, and
> \emph{many} have had this problem.  The link down here is the only
> definitive answer I managed to find.
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=13516+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1996/freebsd-questions/19960526.freebsd-questions
>
> I'll do as it says, but does anyone have any other ideas?  this was a
> really disappointing start to a new toy.

My first questions is "why haven't you upgraded to 4.0-Stable". I
personally can't imagine running a server with any release. Even the
/usr/src/UPDATING has you cvsup'ing to 4.0-Stable before you begin the
upgrade because of things that were fixed in the early release of 4.0.

Kent

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Albert Visagie
>
> --
> http://www.espresso.ee.sun.ac.za/~avisagie
>
> "What men are poets, who could speak if Jupiter where like a man, but if
> he were an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be
> silent?" - Richard Feynman

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html