Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 11:06:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        purna@cs.shizuoka.ac.jp
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, dfr@render.com
Subject:   Re: Help installing IDE CD-ROM driver

> luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (LUIGI) and dfr@render.com (DFR) responded:
>
> >[LUIGI] I get the same report on my systems (both 1.1 and 2.0.5) with a
> >[LUIGI] Sony CDU55 unit mounted as slave on the primary IDE. Nevertheless,
> >[LUIGI] I can mount wcd1a just fine. The only thing that does not work is
> >[LUIGI] the audio-cd support.
>
> >[DFR] Did you try accessing the drive? I had this problem and I could access
> >[DFR] the drive without any problems.
>
> I tried accessing the drive by "mount -r /dev/wcd0c /cdrom". But, it failed.
> On the console, the following messages appeared (YWP is the hostname):

I think you should rather use

	mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0a /cdrom

(but this should give a different error message, such as "bogus
superblock" or so), and wait for a few seconds after you have inserted
the disk, so that the controller can recognize it. But then, the
changer might need some special command to load a disk.

> 	YWP# mount -r /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
>         /dev/wcd0c on /cdrom:  Input/output error
>         YWP# Aug 24 22:13:30 YWP /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready
>         Aug 24 22:13:30 YWP /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/