Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 1995 08:58:13 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Motif 2.0

>I think the libraries should be binary compatible; it's building the
>Motif itself that relies on the X11R5isms... ie: Xt and Xext.

R6 is a superset of R5. To the extent that Motif relies on R5-isms,
they're all still there in R6, with a lot fewer bugs.

>I suspect it would work, but it might still require the old locale
>stuff (ala NetScape), etc.

The locale "stuff" is all standard Xlib stuff. The R6 Xlib has a new
implementation, but because Motif stuck to the documented interfaces
it all just works.

NetScape needs the R5 Xlocale files because it's statically linked with
R5 libraries that not surprisingly have dependencies on those files.

>I haven't seen a Motif built against R6 headers, though.

I have.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY