Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:41:11 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network renumbering (Yack!)

>daniel B wrote:
>> I dreaded this moment would come but I am in a position that I need to
>> change upstream and all DNS info is going to change, customer workstations
>> may have to be reconfigured ...
>> Since I haven't done this before what is the least painful way to handle
>> this task? is there a documented procedure/how-to somewhere?
>> Realy don't want to start guessing.
>
>We're in the middle of that right now, and all I can really think of to
>say is..."Sorry."  :-(
>
>It's rough.  We started by giving our servers multiple IP addresses, one
>old and one new.  We then moved our customers over slowly - first all of
>the static IP addresses, and then each phone number depending on how it
>was tied to a router.  We hired an outside consultant to do some of our
>network customers, which was a mistake.
>
>You just have to be patient...:)

I nominate this line for understatement of the month!  :-)

Another thing to consider it taking this as an opportunity to start
using DHCP for all non-server systems.  You might even want to use
it on some of your servers, though I haven't felt that brave yet.
This seems like a good idea even if you're not using dynamic addresses
since it puts all the network configuration info in one place where
it's easy to change when you need to.

-Mitch