Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:13:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        deraadt@theos.com (Theo de Raadt)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, deraadt@theos.com, misc@openbsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/db/hash hash_buf.c

> > This was a thread that had a list of over 10 groups/people, and
> > simply needed to be pruned...  Sorry for my proper ettiquite.
>
> You pruned too much.  You pruned the list where your comments would
> look bad.

Sorry, I pruned the list where the discussion isn't important.  Any
further follow-ups will have FreeBSD lists pruned again.  BTW, I
really didn't care if anyone saw the messages :-).  You are assuming alot.

Do you actually think that with your history that I would write anything
private to you that you would keep it so??? :-)...

> > Nope, only asking for intellectual honesty...  I guess I was asking
> > for too much.
>
> No, that is not correct.  Your comments denigrated us for approaching
> security in this fashion.  Unforunately the clearing of that buffer
> inside libc/db, at endpwent() time, is the only way you can reliably
> solve the problem in all cases.

Nope, my interest is in explaination of your security fixes and substantiation
of such claims.

> That's either a lie, John or you are BLIND.  pkh flamed me personally.
> You are BLIND.

Sorry, I don't take things personally (anymore)...

> > >  This is really sad
> > Theo...  I will still help the OpenBSD team with VM problems...
>
> Thank you. But I will not help FreeBSD with security problems unless
> something drastic happens.

Refer to my statement below.

> > It looks like to me: OpenBSD -- all take and no give...
>
> That's garbage.  You just expected us to behave nice after you called
> our change stupid without asking us if we'd found some other flaws.

You are substantiating my claim by saying that you won't help FreeBSD...
Sorry, your attitude is clear.

I am still offering to help OpenBSD with their (non-robust, susceptable
to denial of service) VM system, but I do see that it isn't reciprocal.  Sad...

John
dyson@FreeBSD.org -- BSD with a heart, we offer to help.