Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:24:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buying vs. "Buying in"

> | than buying a product. This is true of all cooperatively
> | developed and maintained software. The sense of community is
> | vital to the whole thing. This is why territoriality in such
> | situations is so ungood.
>
> Territoriality in Bill Joy gave BSD its TCP/IP stack.

Not really; that was DARPA.  Bill did very little "peeing on
things to make them smell like Bill"; he's done some of that
recently, taking credit for an idea that Chicken Little had
long ago, but it's been very absent from his non-pundit
career, so far as I've been able to tell.

Pissing contests are almost always a bad idea, unless you
are certain you have just had a "Super Big Gulp", and you
know your opponent hasn't, and isn't on diuretics.  Even
then, it just mostly leaves you looking like a bully, and
is pretty much bad form all around: short term gain at the
expense of long term gain, a bad trade.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---