Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 10:27:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu>
To:        rg@gds.de
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared disks for Mac

|Comments: Authenticated sender is <richard@pop.gds.de>
|From: "Richard Gresek" <rg@gds.de>
|Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 00:50:45 +01:0
|
|I have to manage a client=B4s LAN with about 25 PCs and about 15
|Macintoshes (advertising agency). We are using 3 NT-Servers now. They have=
| an easy
|solution to integrate Macs into one network with PCs and share
|disk-space and printers.
|
|Now we have strong reasons to replace at least two of the 3 NTs by
|FreeBSD-Boxes with Samba and to connect the Windows-Clients to them.
|
|Is there any reliable solution to share disk-space and printers on the
|FreeBSD-machines with Macintoshes?

If you are interested in a commercial solution there
are nfs and lpr clients for the mac that work
seamlessly with FreeBSD sold by Intercon called
NFS/Share and InterPrint.  I bought both for $170 at
the educational discount.  With NFS/Share each NFS
partition shows up as an icon.  With Interprint you can
use 'chooser' to configure the lpr server as your
system printer and all applications then spool to it by
default.

Demo version are available via ftp.  They give free
two-week license keys by request by filling out their
web form.  Their web site should have details:
www.intercon.com.

Rich