Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:56:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Dev Chanchani <dev@wopr.inetu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Power

> We have our servers, switches and routers plugged into APS UPS's (600's
> and 650's). The UPS's are plugged into surge protectors. The surge
> protectors are plugged into 15 AMP 12 guage 100 ft extension coards. We
> ran the extension cords (took them out of the wall) and plugged them into
> the generator. The 650 UPS could not take it, it was flipping between
> generator power and UPS power every second. So... my questions are as
> follows:

I went threw this before.  I think you are talking about the APC ones.
Those are very very touchy about power conditions (freq. etc).  What you
do is call APC and complain.  If you complain enpought they will send you
replacement ones.  WE found that out when we bought a 75Kw catapiller
generator (we wanted that much power to hold the air conditioning as
well).  If all of your questions, yes you can use serges, but it can void
the warenty of the UPS, and is kinda redundant, since those UPS should
have serge protectors bulitin.

Stefan