Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:54:45 +0100
From:      Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   READ_DMA interrupt error after upgrading to 5.3 STABLE

Hello,

On my laptop i am running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11. A few weeks ago i upgraded
it to 5.3 BETA7. After building world i went to single user mode, to
complete the upgrade. After a few seconds running in single user mode,
i got errors about READ_DMA and my laptop was completly frozen.

At that time i realy wanted a working laptop, so i checked out the 5.2.1
source and rebuilded it.

This morning i had some time over and checked out 5.3 STABLE and when i
got in single user mode, my laptop froze without any message. After that
i booted it (with the new kernel) in multi user mode and got the
following message:

ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA interrupt was seen but timeout fired LBA = 351

After some Googling, i found this page: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-August/035984.html

I did not try the solution mentioned in the above message, because
that would mean i always have to do that when i'm updating my source tree.

My laptop:
	Compaq Evo N620c
	Using GENERIC kernel file (always)
	atapci0: <Intel ICH4 UDMA100 controller> port 0x3c20-0x3c2f,0-0x3,0-0x7,0-0x3,0-0x7 irq 10 at device 31.1 on pci0
	ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
	ata0: [MPSAFE]
	ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
	ata1: [MPSAFE]
	GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc2e11960
	ad0: 38154MB <HTS548040M9AT00> [77520/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

Is there a solution, or something (else) i could try?

--
Regards,

Richard.