Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 16:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu>
To:        "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Paul F. Werkowski wrote:

> 	I just happened to get a DeskJet 540 last weekend and spent
> 	an afternoon trying to get the thing to work. I found buried
> 	in the ghostscript port a file called "unix-pr" along with
> 	some install script that created a bunch of cdj-550.x print
> 	queues and a printcap file that basically turned the Deskjet
> 	into a postscript printer. That, along with a2ps and dvips
> 	seems to be all that one needs to get the job done. It was
> 	simple enough to do but it sure would be nice to have it
> 	automated - or even a good pointer as to where to find the
> 	needed files.

	With apsfilter, everything is automated.  It comes with it's own
a2ps.  You just need dvips, ghostscript, netpbm & pbmplus and also xfig
and transfig and you should be able to print things from ascii to graphics.

> 	By the way, the 540 is a pretty nice unit. ($279 at Staples).
> 	Does color for $40 more.

	Hmmm, how is the 540's print quality compared to the 560C and also
is it better than the 520?

> 	Paul

Cheers,
Vince