Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:34:03 -0500
From:      Ford Prefect <fordp@guide.chi.il.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hotmail

I'm not speaking from any firm position here but I was unde the impression
that at the time when MS aquired Hotmail it was running Solaris, which was
replaced NT, which failed and they returned to Solaris.

As for the security issue, I beleive that had to do with Microsofts
PassPort system, and not the operatings system itself (FreeBSD, Solaris, NT
or whatever)

At 09:54 PM 9/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tuesday August 31, 1999, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
> had this to say about "Re: hotmail":

>> >Hotmail used to run FreeBSD, but I believe Microsoft has replaced
everything
>> >with WinNT.
>> >

>>    FreeBSD continues to be in use on about 2000 server machines at Hotmail.
>>
>> -DG
>
>I would think a simple nmap probe would flush out the FreeBSD servers
>from the NT servers...but the aforementioned bug was not an OS problem in
>any case 8-)
>

>--
>John-David Childs (JC612)	Enterprise Internet Solutions
>Systems Administration          http://www.nterprise.net
>  & Network Engineering         8707 E. Florida Ave #814 Denver, CO 80231
>I will not say that women have no character; rather, they have a new
>one every day.
>		-- Heine

 \ Ford Prefect                   Ahead of my time.    \
  \ fordp@guide.chi.il.us           but only by a week. \
   \ homepage.interaccess.com/~fordp                     \
     \          ((In esperanto where available))           \