Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 09:47:54 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Errors compiling 3-STABLE kernel

>Hi. I've copied all the video and keyboard stuff out of GENERIC, but
>I'm still getting the following errors on a kernel compile of a
>recently (this morning) cvsup'd & make world'd system:

How old was your 3.1-STABLE system before this morning's cvsup?
When did you cvsup before?

>syscons.o: In function `scvidprobe':
>syscons.o(.text+0x231): undefined reference to `vid_configure'
>syscons.o(.text+0x24e): undefined reference to `vid_allocate'
>syscons.o(.text+0x26b): undefined reference to `vid_get_adapter'
[...]

Are you sure you did the following?

	cd /sys/i386/conf
	config FIREWALL
	cd ../../compile/FIREWALL
	make depend
	make

>Incidentally, using GENERIC, users other than root have the screen not

Do you mean you can rebuild the GENERIC kernel without the above
error on the same machine?

>refreshing with scrolling - it overlays the rest of the screen.

I don't understand :-(  Would you describe the problem in more details?

Also, please show the output from `dmesg' after starting the system
with the GENERIC kernel.

Kazu