Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        phk@freebsd.org (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, bill@thuvia.qstools.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP-compliant motherboards

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote...
> In message <199607161945.NAA28122@clem.systemsix.com>, Steve Passe writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Bill Cox said:
> >> Could you developers each tell us what motherboard
> >> you're using?  I'm planning to purchase one later
> >> this year...

> >Yes, PLEASE.  I too am ready to buy another board and will be real bummed if
> >I get something that is incompatible!  Also, any links to Web pages discussing
> >hardware standards for SMP, etc. would be most appreciated.  It's hard to
> >shop for a board when you don't know what questions to ask.

> Anything that is compliant with the "Intel MP-spec" should be OK.
>
> Havn't heard anything yet that didn't work, though the HP 2xP6/150 starts
> up on the wrong CPU.  Peter is working on that bit of the code, so it
> shouldn't be a problem for long (hint! hint! :-)

	Has anyone had any experience (good or bad!) with the AMI P6
boards?  The 'Goliath' in particular looks interesting --

Quad P6  (anything from 1-4 processors)
1GB RAM maximum, 4-way interleaved, (DIMMS)
450GX (Orion?) chipset
2 CPU cards (2 cpus per card)
6 PCI slots
4 EISA slots

full specs are here:

http://www.megatrends.com/Motherboards/Goliath.html

	They claim to be shipping the board.  A friend of mine has talked
to the folks there on several occasions (AMI is in Atlanta) and apparantly
it is indeed shipping.  He buys his stuff straight from AMI.

	I probably won't be getting one of 'em, because I've got too much
invested in SIMMS, and I wouldn't be able to sell them and recoup any of my
investment any time soon...  Besides, my friend says that the board is very
expensive.  (I think he mentioned in the 3K range, I'm not clear on whether
that was with or without processors.  There aren't any prices on their web
page. )

	Also, does anyone know about either of the ASUS SMP P6 boards?
The P/E-P6RP7D looks cool, but it isn't shipping yet.  It's got 8 SIMM
slots, 6 PCI slots, an EISA slot or two, 2 P6 sockets, and NCR SCSI bios.

	The ASUS P/I-P65UP5 is a little more interesting -- it takes a CPU
card, which can have either 2 Pentium or 2 Pentium Pro chips on it?!
Apparantly the cards have either the Natoma or Triton II chipsets on board.
It has 5 PCI slots.  (one shared with an ISA slot)

	If anyone knows anything about those boards (or others), I'd
appreciate hearing about it.  I'm planning on getting something in a month
or so..

Thanks,

Ken
--