Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 18:43:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Troy Arie Cobb <troy@circle.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [bugtraq] Serious Linux Security Bug

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:00:20 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
> To: Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
> Cc: security@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: [bugtraq] Serious Linux Security Bug
>
> On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Steve Reid wrote:
> > This has been discussed on the Bugtraq list for a few days now, but I
> > haven't seen any talk of it here.
> >
> > There is no mention of the attack working against *BSD machines except for
> > one person running FreeBSD 2.1.5 who reported that his Intel EtherExpress
> > card stopped working for a couple of minutes.
> >
> > The attack is simple. From a Win95 box,
> > ping -l 65510 buggyhost
> > and it can crash or reboot some OSs. Very nasty.
> >
> > Has anyone checked the FreeBSD kernel to make sure that we're not
> > vulnerable?
>
> I just tried this (from w95) against a FreeBSD 2.1.5 box and a 2.1.0 box,
> both had no problems.  Of course, I'm not sure if the ping ran correctly,
> it returned:
>
> Request timed out.
>
> Instead.  It does work without the '-l 65510' args.

Ditto.  But watching on the FBsd box when it happened I noticed
that most of the network MBUFS filled up, caused the machine
to stutter for a brief seccond and then flushed it.  I'd guess that
it triggers a fringe condition in the somewhat poor networking code
in Linux.  Ugly.

Glad to be on FreeBSD,
- troy

Troy Arie Cobb
troy@circle.net

| Circle Net, Inc.       |  global internet access     |
| http://www.circle.net  |  for western north carolina |
| info@circle.net        |  and beyond...              |
| 704-254-9500           |                             |