Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:35:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GENERIC kernel&modules

>> # Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
>> device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
>
> Pretty lean kernel configuration.  It's impossible for the GENERIC
> kernel though to satisfy everyone, for various reasons.

what i mean is to change generic kernel in FreeBSD releases.

my generic kernel will satisfy more users, and in most cases there is only
need to rebuild one or a few modules with some added options.

i think kernel modules was invented exactly for this. and loader.conf is
an excellent thing!

if kernels have to keep most things in it, so why having modules at all?