Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:31:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@POBOX.COM>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

Lo and behold, Brett Glass once said:

> Many of them don't read the disclaimers because they're scanning the
> subject lines. When they see one with "FreeBSD" in it, some of them
> call in a panic. They often don't read the message because they
> believe that they won't understand it.
>
> Yes, I know, it'd be nice if they weren't so clueless about computer
> security and FreeBSD, but then, they're experts in their own fields,
> which WE don't know much about. Instead of writing them off, why
> not make the subject lines clearer?

  Because they're already clear.

  It says "FreeBSD" - it's related to FreeBSD, and if you run FreeBSD,
you'd damn well better read the message.  It says "Ports" - it has to do
with the FreeBSD ports collection.

  Inside the message, you find a description of the problem.  You say,
"Oh, I don't run setuid-emacs-with-gaping-security-hole, so I'm safe."

  That's exactly the process that *should* occur.  If people immediately
disregard it because it's a ports advisory, they're shooting themselves in
the foot if they run any ports.  If they don't, they can be happy and
relax after 3 seconds of reading the advisory.

  The label is accurate.  Don't fix something that isn't broken.

   -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/