Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:08:45 +0200 (SST)
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this bsd.port.mk. - SOLVED

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Brett Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 15 Oct 2000, Simon J Mudd wrote:
>
> > Martin@McFlySr.Kurgan.Ru (Martin McFlySr) writes:
>
> > > "Error:  your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match
> > > this bsd.port.mk." error.
>
> > It would be nice to have a URL which explained the problem in more
> > detail:
>
> I've answered this 3 times on this or the -ports list (which is where this
> should have been directed - leaving here to try to prevent even MORE of
> this same question).

I still think that a lot of problems and unnecessary questions (mine included)
would have been avoided if this major change in the ports system had been
posted to -announce. Both the warning ahead of the change and the solution
to the problem of remaining old directories.

I'm still very puzzled about the reasons (if any?) why -announce wasn't
used for an announcement about this. I mean, what other use does -announce
have than announce new releases and other major happenings, like this?

Peter Olsson