Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:57:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, eyurtese@turkuamk.fi
Subject:   Re: IBSS and BSS with multiple FreeBSD Wireless Gateways

On 17-Aug-2002 M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message:
> <Pine.A41.4.10.10208171330130.4338-100000@bessel.tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>
>             Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi> writes:
>: Is it possible to use FreeBSD with IBSS or BSS mode as a bridge to
>: overcome line of sight issues? and provide roaming for mobile users?

For 802.11 specified roaming to work, you need to be in BSS mode and
set up an ESS - extended service set. The APs all need to talk to each
other so that the _single_ gateway to the rest of the internet knows
where to send packets. Traditionally this was done with a propiertry
protocol, but there is now a standard way of doing this- 802.11d I think.

>: Another question is if we are using IBSS mode and 2 clients are close
>: to each other but the gateway is little bit more far away. Does it cause
>: the clients to choose each other instead of the gateway because they
>: have stronger signal? If this happens, wouldnt this cause the link to
>: the gateway be broken?
>
> IBSS mode causes people to try to talk directly to each other as much
> as possible.  I don't know what the relaying rules for ibss are, but
> if you need to rely on a man in the middle, then you are likely going
> to be frustrated.  I've never tried it, so maybe it just works, but I
> kinda doubt it.  Grab, read and understand the 802.11 spec :-)

IBSS does not have relaying. An IBSS can be simply viewed as wireless
Ethernet. I.e. direct peer to peer connections with stations communicating
directly with each other. If an IP packet is destined to go the the
outside world, the packet is sent directly to the gateway machine - this
isn't 802.11, but IP routing.

The reason IBSS does not have relaying, and the reason that all station to
station traffic in an BSS goes via the AP is basically the same. It is a lot
easier to implement roaming and relaying in wireless systems, when there are
defined network entities such as a basestation, i.e. and AP. Some people have
played with relaying in IBSS but it requires changes to the protocol stack
within the cards.

Duncan