Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

:
:On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 10:54:34AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Yes, all i386.  At the meeting we decided to break the alpha port
:>     temporarily.
:
:I have no recollection of this even being discussed, let alone decided on.
:
:>     I think alpha work can begin when I make the SP (single processor)
:>     patches available.  I would recommend sticking to SP alpha builds
:>     probably for a few months until our i386 MP work (which is mostly
:>     machine independant) is reasonably stable.  (does alpha even have an MP
:>     build yet?).
:
:I for one have an alpha that I really want this SMP work to run on in a
:timely fashion.  Granted, alpha may reasonably lag behind i386 by some
:amount (on the order of days), but FreeBSD is no longer just i386, and we
:need to give the alpha port enough attention to keep it more or less in
:sync with the i386 port.
:
:Matt, we've threatened to provide you with an alpha, and we may force one
:on you if the need arises. =)  Seriously though, alpha is not going to be
:intentionally left in the dust on this project.
:..
:Jason

    I definitely remember it being brought up... I forget who brought
    the point out but I'm sure it was one of the alpha guys.  My impression
    was that someone on the Alpha team would pick up the ball.

    There is no way I have time to do Alpha assembly, even if I had
    experience with it (which I don't).  I'm already taking a chunk out of
    work just to do the i386 code.  One of the alpha guys is going to have
    to do that piece of it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>