Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:14:21 +0000
From:      "Tony Williams" <twilliams_62@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question on PPPoE

Hi,

I have a question regarding PPPoE protocol and code. I recently
changed from dial up to a PPPoE service through a DSL provider
and was successful in setting the FreeBSD 4.2 box up!

Out of curiousity, I went through some of the code in netgraph and
the rfc specification, but unable to follow the necessity for the
Session ID. the protocol says the peer mac address and the session
id determines a unique session. From one peer, one can have only one
internet connection and mac addresses are unique. Why then the session
id also included in the protocol. What is the advantage of having
session id, it is not there in normal dial up PPP and who uses it?

In my case, the ISP did not mention anything about the session id
and I have only one session from the PC, i assume

Thanks
-Tony