Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 23:48:28 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86 Makefile ports/x11/XFree86/patches patch-ac

According to J Wunsch:
> Note that this is basically unrelated to the libc interface, but
> rather happens since there is _no_ official library interface for the
> utmp/wtmp handling, at least nothing xterm and xdm know about.

I agree.

> Perhaps we should rip out all the utmp/wtmp handling code out of xterm
> and xdm while we are at it, and offer the XFree86 people a patch.
> Moving it to libutil would solve the matter once and for all, so
> changing utmp.h next time will only require a minor version number
> bump for the shared libutil.

I always thought one of the purposes of login(3), logwtmp(3) and logout(3)
in libutil was precisely that. I'm surprised xterm/xdm don't use them.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #33: Sat Dec 21 12:57:17 CET 1996