Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 04:14:20 -0400 (AST)
From:      There is no satisfaction without Action <vlad@dusk.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Number of users

Good Day,

I have seen a good many questions pass by with
an incredible amount of responses, thank you
to all who answer those questions, you've saved
many a people time to get things cleared up.

If someone could help me out, it would be muchly
appreciated as well.

I run a P133 with 64M of RAM and 128M swap file
and am wondering how many users this machine
will handle before starting to choke.

The machine is for shell accounts only, so
people can only telnet in.  Assuming the
average user with usual tasks
(mail, irc, some running screen perhaps )
how long before I should consider upgrading
the machine and/or memory ?
(If you think that upgrading the ram would be
ok until X users are reached it would be great,
as the price of ram hasn't been this low in
ages =) ).

Also another question (all of a sudden questions
seem to be streaming in =) ) is that how many
virtual domains can FreeBSD support, and what
would some of you expierenced users recommend
for RAM in such a machine?
(lets take a minimum of perhaps 20 Virtual
domains.  The machine is dedicated to running
VWH only, so users will most likley only use
ftp, telnet and whatnot to upgrade their pages ).

Thank You in advance,

Christian