Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:43:11 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

>From The Desk Of "Joel N. Weber II" :
>    Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 20:53:56 -0700
>    From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
>
>    >From The Desk Of "Joel N. Weber II" :
>    > Isn't it easy enough to include code in E-scape which knows about
>    > timidy?  Won't that solve the problem?
>
>    The answer to that is no . If you like can can view E-scape as
>    a platform from which you can launch applications as well as
>    providing basic services. Another way to look at it is to
>    dynamically reconfigure your package so as to keep the basic
>    features to a minium . For instance, if I am not into midi
>    why should I be inflicted by downloading the source code and
>    recompiling e-scape to exclude the MIDI component.
>
> If E-scape ever does support plugins, you'll have to download
> the Linux and NetBSD and OpenBSD and Hurd and Solaris code
> which handles plugins, and I doubt it will ever be useful to
> you.

I have no idea why are you saying that I will have to download XYZ
OS code in order to support "plugins" in fact is not a very smart thing
to discuss technical capabilities without knowing the technology. If you
are looking for sample code which shows how plugins can be implemented
please download amaya from http://www.w3.org and check out how it is done.
Don't worry the code does not byte 8)

Let me ask you a different question, why are you writing a browser wouldn't
you efforts be better spend by way of helping  www.w3.org??

Here are a couple of sample projects:

1. go to the next step and write a generic distributed object platform.

2. build a next generation word/spreadsheet processor similar to a
   browser perhaps fully SGML compliant

3. Since you like GNU stuff how about a Guile mobile agent plugin for
   netscape. Now thats a real neat project that if you go ahead and implement
   it you will be king of the hill perhaps even overshadow RMS !

	Cheers,
	Amancio