Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 16:46:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Terry Lambert said on May 26, 2002 at 15:52:18:
> > Your ability to think about certain concepts is constrained by the
> > language(s) in which you are able to think.
>
> We don't think in languages -- we think abstractly.  That is why one
> is sometimes at a loss for the "mot juste" -- you know what you want
> to say but not how to say it.

I am only at such a loss when I "lose" a word.  This is a rare occurance,
but it does happen.  I will spend as much time as necessary to "find" it
again.

It's also why I tend to use certain sentence forms and word selections
which people might consider archaic: I communicate what I intend to
communicate, and my word choice is made to maximize the precision of the
message which I intend to communicate.  This is also why I get so annoyed
when people blur the definition of words like "freedom" and "liberty",
since it seems to me that they are trying to eradicate a concept by
covert subversion of the meaning of the word which best exemplifies the
concept.

> That's also why babies can learn a language in the first place.

The much vaunted "plasticity" of a babies brain to new language is
in reality the training of the neural networks which run our square
wave discrimination (hearing).  People do not have any more trouble
learning a new language at an older age than they would have had at
a younger age, except when the new language contains sounds that
are indistinguishable from one another, due to the training of their
discriminator functions.  This is actually the primary reason that
the Japanese were unable to decode the messages routed via the Navajo
"code talkers": there are a number of sounds in Navajo which are
distinct to the native speakers, whose brains were trained at an early
age to specifically distinguish them.  Brains lacking such training
are unable to make the distinction, and thus see homonyms where none
exist.  A number of these external-observer-apparent homonyms are
central to the language.  Modern electronic instruments have no
problem discriminating them from recorded waveforms.  Modern ears
continue to have problems, unless they are modern Navajo ears.  8-).

> I also think in a language (various languages, depending on the
> situation), but then I'm basically "talking to myself" -- repeating
> a thought which has already been formulated.

Perhaps I've read too much, or perhaps I'm thinking more in terms
of abstract conceptualization, which I would argue requires the use
of words.  But I generally think in terms of words, even for simple
concepts like "I'm hungry".

-- Terry