Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:03:08 -0500
From:      Matthew Cashdollar <mattc@rfcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9p_=3A_Virus_checking_e-mail_attachments?=

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 06:08:36PM +0200, THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr wrote:
>      hello
>
>      If I remember correctly, there was such an extension for the
>      Firewall-1 product from Checkpoint (ckeck it on www.checkpoint.com)

The NT version of this product is very slow and somewhat unstable-- I would
recommend avoiding it at all costs :)  There is a Solaris version which is supposed
to be better but that is probably only because the Sparc is faster.  Also, it is
commercialware.

>      There has been recently (I can't find the refernce now) a merger
>      beetween a firewall company and a virus checking company ("total
>      security solutions")
>
>         All depends on the quality of the virus database (and the marketing
>         hype to sell it)

You might be able to do something with VirusScan (/usr/ports/security/vscan).. get
sendmail to invoke it on incoming messages or something like that.  VirusScan scans
for most DOS/Windows viruses.

--
Matthew Cashdollar <mattc@rfcnet.com>        /|\
RF Communications, Inc. -- http://www.rfcinc.com