Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 08:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   conf/33345: pnpinfo not finding info for pnp pci modems

>Number:         33345
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       pnpinfo not finding info for pnp pci modems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Since 4.0 I have not been able to get {pci modems from USR or zoom, having onboard controller and dsp, {irq dip switchs or pnp enabled}} to work in FBSD. The following FAQ url states real well why this is so and what to do. The problem is the solution is based on one command {pnpinfo} displaying the info needed, so the user can create there own entry in the sio.c table and this pnpinfo command is not working.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#PNP-NOT-FOUND

>How-To-Repeat:
Try it your self with a zoom/faxmodem 56K PCI PLUS Model NO 2920 or
USR 56K Performance Pro Modem, model no 3CP5610A
>Fix:
1. Fix 4.x pnpinfo command so it can report on pic pnp modems.
2. In 3.x there were some commands pnp & setserial that let you hack around the problem caused by both isa and pnp probes as stated in the FAQ that you may reactivate.
3. Change way the whole process functions so sio.c is not edited at all.