Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:35:30 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

Marty Poulin wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, David Johnson wrote:
>

> > FreeBSD has never catered to the newbie crowd, and I doubt it ever will.
> > This is a Good Thing.
>
> I wholeheartedly disagree.  My very first experience with Unix was to put
> the 2.2.5-Release boot disk into a spare 486 and start installing FreeBSD
> using FTP over a 28.8 modem.
> It was a long and steep learning curve, but if someone is determined to
> learn Unix, I could not recommend a better OS than FreeBSD.

About 99% of newbies who had some small measure of determination could
successfully learn FreeBSD and graduate into the intermediate or expert
user classes. That wasn't my point.

When I look at the Linux distributions that are catering to the newbie
crowd, I see stuff that I don't want in FreeBSD. For example, if you
look at Corel LinuxOS, you see missing administration and development
tools, GUI front-ends for everything else, and little or no choice about
which applications to install. This is not necessarily a Bad Thing for
Corel, and actually makes sense for its target audience. But FreeBSD is
the opposite.

David