Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 97 09:28:51 -0400
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

Hello,

> P.S. Is there any existing thing or at least an idea of making one that
> does this thing nicer? NIS is based on rather dumb idea that to
> authenticate local user one will want to go to some server and ask him
> instead of IMHO more sane approach of distributing authentication
> information from that server to always perform authentication locally and
> never depend on some host being accessible at the time of user's login.

In surface this is right. However, NIS does database lookups instead of sequential
file access (non-FreeBSD systems) and that's one of the better reasons of existence
of NIS. With a few thousands of users, sequential search becomes rather heavy.

IMO, NIS is fine, given you have reliable networks and reliable servers and at
least one slave. What I don't like about NIS is that in 1997, it still doesn't allow
for atomic modifications of the database (add one user, etc...).

Regards,
Yves